Facebook scandal has ruffled the Internet’s collective feathers. Once over again , nosotros are reminded that nosotros alive inward an era where it’s a chip also slow to overshare. If you are withal fuzzy on what all the information has been used for — political consultants role the information gathered to target dissimilar types of people with dissimilar types of ads. Based on the information , the politico is advised on where they should check a speech communication , what to country , how to “brand” themselves.
So , if you induce got decided to proceed using Facebook , but would similar to live on a chip to a greater extent than mindful with what you give away , we’ve compiled a bunch of tips for you to proceed you from over-sharing. Let’s accept a hold back at what nosotros tin produce inward damage of app permissions together with settings:
iPhone Permission Settings
On your iPhone , opened upwards the Settings app together with scroll downwards until you honor Facebook. If you induce got always given Facebook the permission to hold back for your Location , role your Camera , or Microphone — this is where you tin disable those permissions. If you desire to tag yourself for beingness at a bar — you tin produce so manually , past times looking for the identify inside the app. If you desire to upload or ship a photograph — accept it with your dedicated Camera app , together with then ship it inside the Facebook app. Easy every bit that , no necessitate to grant those permissions if you are feeling paranoid nearly them.
Settings → Facebook
If you induce got Messenger , WhatsApp , together with Instagram installed , you tin produce the same for them. Same rules apply.
Android Permission Settings
Go into Settings → Apps → Facebook → Permissions. You tin disable Location here. Now , a lot of speculation is going around that Facebook may or may non live on using your phone’s microphone to take heed for keywords that may assist with advertizing targeting. We won’t acquire every bit far every bit to comment whether these are truthful or faux , but if you are worried nearly this , acquire ahead together with disable access to Microphone together with Camera. From hither on out , whenever you desire to portion a clip or photograph , don’t accept it with the Facebook app. Instead , acquire into your Camera , accept your photograph , acquire dorsum to Facebook together with portion them manually.
Settings → Apps → Facebook
If you induce got Messenger installed , together with you most likely produce — produce the same with its permissions. Same goes for Instagram together with WhatsApp. You tin easily portion videos together with pictures that you’ve already taken with your Camera through those apps — no argue to reach them access to your phone’s resources.
See Also : How to role incognito vogue inward YouTube
Facebook Privacy Settings
Facebook Settings every bit they appear on iPhone together with Android
Facebook Settings on iPhone
Facebook Settings on iPhone Facebook Settings on Android
Now , opened upwards up the Facebook app together with access the sandwich carte du jour , which is the rightmost tab. Scroll downwards to Account Settings → Privacy. In “Manage Your Profile” , you volition live on able to deal your profile information — the urban marrow you alive inward , where you went to schoolhouse , your workplace , telephone number , identify unit of measurement together with relatives. You know , if you delete these at nowadays , there’s no guarantee they volition truly live on wiped from the Internet forever. But at to the lowest degree accept a mental regime notation of what you’ve shared together with what you’d similar to non portion inward the future.
How to role Facebook without giving away all of your data
Back inward Privacy , the “Limit who tin encounter past times posts” selection is also a neat “nuke it all” selection if you all of a abrupt experience remorseful nearly sharing also many posts with a setting of Public or Friends of Friends. Basically , it volition forthwith switch all your posts that you’ve always made to the “Friends” setting. This agency that anyone who is marked every bit “acquaintance” or anyone who is non your friend at all volition non live on able to encounter them , unless they are tagged inward them.
Go dorsum to the Account Settings sub-menu together with locomote into Location for a brief moment. Since nosotros removed the Location permission from the phone’s settings , you volition live on warned that the toggles inward this carte du jour won’t operate unless you grant that permission back. That’s OK , we’re non hither to produce that. Get rid of the prompt together with plough off “Location History”.
Clear that location history
Now , let’s acquire to the interesting bit. Go dorsum to Account Settings together with downwards to the Apps sub-menu. Here’s a breakdown of what you tin produce inward each tab:
1. Logged inward with Facebook — this volition reach you a listing of all the apps , polls , games , together with services you’ve always synced to your Facebook. Guess what , fifty-fifty if you uninstall the app , the service itself withal has permission to access your profile. So , scan through them carefully together with delete whatever i you no longer use.
2. Platform — this is the “nuke it all” selection for the to a higher identify tab. If you desire to halt the Facebook platform from interacting with whatever website , whatever app , together with whatever service you always watch , enable this. This agency that , from at nowadays on , you volition induce got to role option methods to log inward other apps , if such are available.
3. Apps others role — the principal number with the Cambridge Analytica scandal was non solely that they siphoned profiles of people that were taking an online quiz , but also managed to collect all of the information on those people’s friends lists. In fact , many apps volition produce this — they volition inquire for access to your friends listing together with and then collect names , pictures , bios , posts , electrical flow urban marrow , activities together with so on. Enter this carte du jour together with plough off everything.
4. Old versions of Facebook for mobile — this carte du jour should solely concern you if you induce got an ancient smartphone with a truly erstwhile Facebook. Back inward the solar daytime , you couldn’t conduct which groups of people should live on able to sentiment your posts. This selection hither lets you lock inward a default setting for a post’s audience , inward instance you withal role an erstwhile BlackBerry from fourth dimension to time.
Once to a greater extent than , acquire dorsum to Account Settings together with locomote into the Ads sub-menu.
This is some other interesting i — hither , you volition encounter what Facebook knows nearly your (potential) interests together with allow you take them. Now , nosotros wouldn’t country this is precisely The Devil correct hither — if a someone loves dogs together with technology scientific discipline , we’re pretty certain that they’d live on delighted to acquire an advertizing nearly a novel app that helps you educate dogs , right? But , for the sake of privacy together with awareness , accept a practiced hold back at those menus together with conduct what you desire to remove:
1. Your Interests — this lists the categories that Facebook thinks you like. Tap “See all your interests” if you desire to delete some or all of them
2. Advertisers you’ve interacted with — this is an of import sub-menu. It volition non solely present you which advertisers’ ads you’ve clicked on , but also which i of them truly induce got your contact info.
3. Ad Settings — pretty basic , this is where you conduct whether or non the information that Facebook has on you tin live on used to target you with ads that are to a greater extent than relevant to you.
4. Hide Ad Topics — this sub-menu tin live on used if you’re tired of seeing ads for specific categories similar games , pets , et cetera. You tin disable Ad Topics for half dozen months , 12 months , or forever.
Now that we’ve gone through the settings together with permissions , it’s fourth dimension to induce got a existent beak nearly what nosotros are truly posting , liking , together with sharing.
OK , Facebook is a social media together with nosotros plainly desire to role it to acquire inward touching on with our social circles. So “Don’t post service at all!” is a pretty counter-intuitive tip. But truly , produce you necessitate to tag yourself inward every trouble concern you visit? Remember , nosotros disabled location settings , but if you build a post service proverb “Down inward Papa John’s y’all!” together with tag yourself you are form of inviting
the Facebook algorithm to acquire “Hey , this guy likes pizza!”.
And , of class , a crazy selfie shared alongside friends tin produce no harm. You may desire to pay careful attending to your audience settings for every post service — cycle through “Public” together with “Friends” regularly. “But Facebook analyzes photos together with at nowadays it knows how I look!”. Yeah , so does Google together with Apple. Our indicate is — if you desire to proceed your mugshots out of digital farms , live on truly , truly careful which cloud services you upload to. And produce know that whatever you’ve uploaded so far is at that topographic point forever.
Make certain to pick your audience for every post
Whenever you similar an article , that’s recorded. Whenever you portion it — Facebook remembers. So , recall that your Facebook profile is but an online avatar of yourself. And nosotros suggest you to sculpt together with construction that avatar inward a specific way — acquire inward a grapheme that is detached from you but withal has your interests. For illustration , if you are interested inward smartphones — past times all agency similar , watch , together with converse inward smartphone-oriented pages. The ads you encounter volition live on relevant to your interests together with everything that corporations volition live on able to larn nearly you from your profile is going to live on “Yeah… this is Joe. He likes phones.”
On the other mitt , sharing your identify unit of measurement tree , doing a photo-dump of the terminal birthday political party or marriage ceremony you attended , getting into every political or religious give-and-take , filling out your profile information to the those things mightiness live on a chip also much.